Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hey guys! Its only going to be about 16 more days before the 1 week holiday approaches. Woa! Fast isn't it? Heard from Mr. Chew the first written paper is going to be 2 or 3 weeks after that short break. No rocket science explanation is needed to obviously see that EOY is coming. Funny thing is we're going to get our report books back within such a short interval. Its like we're getting it the week before 30th August and later after the EOY will be getting it back again.

Anyway, had been quite engaged by some things. Over the National Day Weekend really did nothing much to celebrate national day because I seriously see no point in all the hype over national day. A country is not made up of the land, it's made of people in that country. So if you really love your country that much, love the people around you. This holds much more significant than just being all hyped up for the parade and that day itself.

I've been watching House MD, an American drama series having the protaganist as Hugh Laurie. Its an amazing show, you really get alot of head knowledge or general knowledge if you get to know what exactly they are saying in english subtitles. You get to learn about the different rare diseases and what are the symptoms for the diagnosis. This show is very factual in terms of the medical terms and all. I especially like the main character, he's a antisocial maverick genius doctor, leading the department of diagnosis. Everyone should watch it if given the chance.

What I'm all happy about this week is the book I've gotten as gift from Ms Ng and Ms Baey. I'm really shocked and surprised by the extra mile they went. This is my first time ever receiving books from teachers. Its a book by Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture. I mentioned it in the previous post about the video of the last lecture but I didn't know there was also a book. At least for me, I think the book is better than the video, I only managed to catch 30 mins of the video. The book is easy to read and also its inspiring as you read about the author's life experiences. He was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and it was terminal. He didn't just waste his remaining time on Earth but with what he had in hands, he decided to give a motivational speech that made impact on many. This is the actual quote he made

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how much we play the hand".

He talked about his childhood dreams, how he made it happened. He said there bound to be hindrances in our lives, brick walls. They are just there to show how badly we want something. He also wrote,

"When you see yourself doing something badly and nobody's bothering to tell you anymore, it's a bad place to be at. You may not want to hear it, but your critics are often the ones telling you they still love you and care about you, and want to make you better. "

Woa! This is what it meant by looking things at different perspective or angle in life. Maybe you would not see it now but in the future you will probably thanks those people that made your life hell when you were young and still learning. This is really an awesome book, you guys should invest in it when you're free or even make it a must. Reading is good, a good alternative would be wikipedia daily featured articles.

One of the book I found making impacts on people's life is "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom, awesome book! It's a true story, non-fiction. Its also about a lecturer dying of ALS and with his remaining time left on Earth, he met up with Mitch and talked about his life's lesson. He made a record of it and published it as a book.


So here you go, The Last Lecture:


Thanks Ms Ng and Ms Baey! It's really unexpected and I really appreciate it. =)

How sad it is when you awake from a dream where everything

you ever wanted is there but it vanishes the moment you opened

your eyes to come face to face with reality.

Paradigm shifts