Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Youth Leader's Academy 4 (camp)

Hey World! It's been a day already since I came back from the YLA 4 camp at Ngee Ann Poly. Just one word to describe the camp, AWESOME!

If this is to be counted as camp, then it will be the best one yet for me. The accomodation was superb manzx, nowhere near any campsites or whatever place you call it. Its called the loft@94. The place was like fully furnished with iKEA furnitures and it is so damn cool! Simple nice abstract style, makes it feels cozy and comfortable; like its my own apartment.

Some pictures highlighting the loft:
The living room

Toilet in my room
Cool rite? Don't whether if I'm heng or suay. Cause the tribe gathering place was in my apartment but we get to enjoy only having 4 staying in it while others have 9 or 8. Although I prefer to be with more people around and also people I know but too bad lahz.

I was dispatched to this tribe called "Apaches" where pretty much everyone is stranger to me and people from the same school was either from different student leader group or different Sec level. My roomate was Zhao Yong, Yong Quan and one anti-social student leader from NP. The AS-SL in my room didn't even intro himself, didn't talk at all. Among us in Apache, I'm like the only sec 3 guy and it was like really no link at all. Good thing is I wasn't "Daoed" by roomates. The Yong Quan look quite scary, like "pie kia". I see already also sianz 1/2 but somehow I just tried getting along with them. I'm sorry to say but I didn't really had much fun with my own tribe and all. Only took a group photo with the tribe, I only have the hard copy, so there's no pics to upload about. At the end of the day, I did made some acquaintance from other school and also from our own.

What I really enjoyed the most in this camp was actually those activities collaborated with Adam Khoo Learning Tech Group. NP outsourced the training to them and the way they carry out the workshop was AMAZING. There is this trainer Candice, she can talk non-stop for 3 hrs and keep all the audience all excited and hyped up for more. Although I somehow already know parts of what they were teaching, I was still drawed in and I realised the way they carry out the workshop really make people absorb and digest well.

We did this profiling test, called "Tetra Map". Basically its divided into 4 differnt nature elements. Earth, Air, Water and Fire. Me being the thinking, analytical, logical, rationale and critical one was obviously Air dominant. I did all other personality tests and got the same results also. The thing is, they taught us this 4 general character traits so we can be flexible towards the diferent traits by thru profiling to bring the best out of people we work with.

They also taught us the thing about synergy, how 1+1=4. How we produce tremendous results thru win-win situations. Like winning 16 points for tic-tac-toe game instead of just having 2 points for one person every 2 rounds.

The next most enjoyable thing is the outdoor games activities. It was seriously very fun and its where teamwork were required of us. We played unentaglement and a few other games(don't the name).


All of the younger people should really take part in this camp if possible in future. I'm sure there will be YLA up to 10 or mayb 20. Now it's only YLA 4 and they have like 2 YLA per year. I just checked up on youtube, I think the YLA 3 was held during the June holidays this year, 2008.

We proceeded on to the last day of the camp. 3 days sure pass damn fast! We had our camp finale and our tribe won the " Drama-mama Award". After that was farewell-ling and free-style phototaking time, and then one big group photo of YLA 4. Most of the people in my tribe was like emo-ing and tearing, people giving hugs here and there. Not I emotionally shutdown or whataver, because if I were to tear or emo it would haven been for nothing, and to the apache people I would look "insane" cos I barely know them. I believe those people feeling down either did get themselves engaged with the SLs(because of common grounds) or they haven't really experience anything like "people come and go" stuffs.


Overall the camp was really my best one ever, but I believe it could have been better. I'm inspired and is spured on to bring myself to a new level of breakthrough in the art of leadership.

(boring post I know, really no pics in camp)


Except:

In the MRT


That's about it...